[Zope] Zope not waiting for long running database stored procedures

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Tue Jul 27 00:11:53 EDT 2004

--On Dienstag, 27. Juli 2004 11:55 Uhr +0800 Tim Edwards
<Tim.Edwards at hwe.com.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have Zope 2.7 running a web application which stores its data in an SQL
> Server 2000 database. As part of this application the user is meant to
> click on a button on a form which fires off a stored procedure in the
> database. This stored procedure can be quite long running (up to 5
> minutes).
>
> The problem is  that when the user clicks the button to submit the form
> Zope doesn't seem to wait around for the stored precedure. The page
> reloads after about 30 seconds or so and nothing is ever heard from the
> stored proc. (it doesn't seem to have run). However trying it on smaller
> data sets has been successful. The stored procedure runs successfuly when
> invoked manually in the SQL Server Query Analyser no matter how large or
> small the dataset is.
>
> My question is how do I make Zope wait around until the stored proc. has
> finished executing? (Its acceptable to have the user's browser appear to
> be loading for the full 5 minutes or so). Any ideas?

This does not look like a direct Zope problem. Usually most DAs return from
execution if the underlaying RDBMS operation has terminated. Maybe there is
some asynchronous processing feature within your used DA? At least on the
Zope server side this behaviour is not coming from Zope directly.

-aj