[Zope] Re: type in python scripts

David A. Riggs spam_riggs at csee.wvu.edu
Tue Jun 1 18:40:05 EDT 2004

Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 12:46:08PM -0700, Sam Gendler wrote:
>
>>How does one check the type of a variable in a python script?  I get a
>>global name error when I try to use the type method.
>

> yep, it's one of the builtins that are forbidden in TTW code
> for murky security reasons.

Some of the security restrictions that Zope imposes on developers
seem completely arbitrary to me. I can understand hiding 'popen'
in the name of security, I can understand restricting 'range()'
to keep from exhausting memory, but why on earth can't I ask
for an object's type?

What I'd really like is to be able to turn off Zope's fascist
security "features" in certain cases. If I'm working with a
small team of trusted developers, I want to make things as
easy as possible for them...the Zope learning curve is steep
enough as it is. If the argument is to protect the system from
cases where the end user could execute arbitrary code, then
there are much more immediate problems!

Any chance that Zope3 will allow an administrator to tailor
how "locked down" a Zope installation (or instance) is?

--
- David A. Riggs <riggs at csee dot wvu dot edu>