[Zope] Making Magic with Mirrowing Folders

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sun Jun 13 06:40:36 EDT 2004

Gary Duke Speer wrote at 2004-6-11 12:19 -0600:
>I have been trying to configure Dieter's Mirrowing Folders Product.
>Using both direct _dtml-var_ links and Shane's AquisitionUnderstander I
>cannot see the product having any effect.  I suspect it is because I do
>not understand either the product's intention or how to properly setup the
>mirrow link.

"Mirroring Folder" supports the following use case:

  A multilingual site with multiple
  applications/subapplications/subsubapplications...

  Each application (subapplication ...) contains language
  independent resources (business logic, common infrastructure,
  gluing scripts, ...) and language dependent resources
  (presentation, content).

  All resources for an application are directly associated with
  this application; there is no further organisation based on e.g.
  type.

For these kinds of use cases, you would set up "MirroringFolder"
as follows:

   MirroringFolder/
     common/	# mirrored by the mirroring folder
       application1/
         subapplication1/
       application2/
     language1/
       application 1/
     language2/

Note that Zope does not support optimally an organisation
based on types (like "Images", "SQL", ...).
Do not organize your resources like this for Zope.
Organize, instead by applications (subapplications, ...).
This lets take you optimal advandage from acquisition.

MirrowingFolder does not (or very limited) support organisation
by type.

Note further that MirroringFolder does its magic during
URL traversal. Do not expect any effect unless you
traverse through the folder.

--
Dieter