[Zope] Turning off xmlrpc handling (Is it right to assume that text/xml==xmlrpc?)

John Ziniti jziniti at speakeasy.net
Fri Jun 25 13:13:44 EDT 2004

John Ziniti wrote:
> ZPublisher seems to assume that if the Content-type
> on an HTTP POST is "text/xml", then the request contains
> an xmlrpc call.
>
> I would like to POST an XML document and handle it myself
 >
> 1. I would prefer not to hack Zope.

The more I look at this problem and the Zope code set up to
handle it, the more I think that hacking Zope is the only
way to accomplish what I want.  The question I keep coming
to, though, is "Is it right that Zope assumes that all POSTs
with a text/xml payload are xmlrpc calls?" and I can't help
but answering "no".

Couldn't we change Zope so that you have to specifically
indicate an xmlrpc call with a Content-type that would
not be used for something else, like "application/xmlrpc"?
Or is inventing new Content-types considered bad form?

JZ