[Zope] Zope 2.7.0 and custom_zodb.py

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Jun 28 05:45:19 EDT 2004

John E. Barham wrote:
> Perhaps the original email from Jim Fulton on which the article is based is
> clearer:
> http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope/2000-January/101673.html

A cursory read suggests it backs up what I was saying ;-)

> The Zope Book (2.6 Edition), chapter 24 (Maintaining Zope):
>
> """The "pool_size" parameter is the number of database connections. Note
> that the number of database connections should always be higher than the
> number of ZServer threads by a few (it doesn't make sense to have fewer
> database connections than threads)."""
>
> And Zope itself follows this recommendation in that the default database
> connection pool size is 7 but the default thread pool size is only 4.

I can see no reason for this and remember recent mailing list discussions where
this was agreed. But I might be hallucinating ;-)
Explain to be how more than 4 ZODB connections can be used when there are only 4
publisher threads running, and none of them is leaking zodb connections...

> I realize that although the terminology is admittedly confusing.  Even if
> one were to create multiple database "connection" objects to the same
> relational database, I don't see how that would help since a Z SQL Method
> can only be associated w/ one database connection.

Can you explain what the problem is you're trying to solve please?

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk