[Zope] Broken Zope 2.7.1 file permissions

John E. Barham jbarham at jbarham.com
Wed Jun 30 12:33:14 EDT 2004

I installed 2.7.1 from source on Linux using the default settings (i.e.,
install to /opt/Zope-2.7) but it would not start when I changed the
effective user (as I had to since I'm running it directly on port 80) since
many of the files (e.g., in lib/python/App/dtml) are readable only by the
owner which is root.  This is a change from 2.7.0 where the same files are
readable by group and world.

In the meantime a workaround is to manually change the file permissions to
be world/group readable or to install Zope under the same account as the
effective user, but these file permissions should be fixed in the official
release since Zope won't even start up given the common scenario of setting
the effective user w/ the default install.

    John