[Zope] Newlines in objects

John Poltorak jp at warpix.org
Wed Mar 17 09:38:55 EST 2004

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 07:06:40PM -0600, J Cameron Cooper wrote:
> John Poltorak wrote:
>
> >How are newlines defined in Zope objects? Are they the same across all
> >platforms, or are they platform dependent?
> >
> >If I do a binary FTP download of an object, am I guaranteed to have an
> >exact copy of the original object?
> >
> It's always done the right thing for me. As far as I can tell, any data
> stored into a binary field (like File contents) or a string field
> (Document contents) is stored and returned as presented. ZPTs, being
> XML, may use \n only. But I do not speak with certainty: do you have
> experience to the contrary?

What I am trying to establish is what actually is the right thing, since I
don't know.

I have a problem uploading news objects using FTP and it may have
something to do with newlines. Other object types upload fine.

Some people have said that newlines have to be in Unix rather than DOS
format, but I'm not sure if that is the case. AFAICT, it is only me who
has this problem so I'm trying to establish exactly what Zope (or Plone)
expect. What happens currently is that news objects are truncated at the
blank line seperating the header from the body text of the file.

It seems like a Plone issue, but I get a bunch of abuse when I ask on that
list.

--
John