[Zope] archetype difficulty

John Ziniti jziniti at speakeasy.net
Tue May 4 15:45:43 EDT 2004

richard wrote:
> I’ve followed the code in this article:
>
> http://www.zopemag.com/Issue006/Section_Articles/article_IntroToArchteypes.html
>
> When I get to the point of adding this external method:
>
> id: install_article
> module: MyArticle.Install
> function: install
>
> I get this error: “The specified module, //MyArticle.Install//, couldn't be found.”

The article you referenced is discussing the creation of
a Zope Product, which are Python packages and reside under
${ZOPE_HOME}/Products/.  You are trying to create an External
Method, which is a function inside a Python module, and resides
in ${ZOPE_HOME}/Extensions.  AFAIK, External Methods can only
be modules, not a module ("install.py") inside a subdirectory
("MyArticle") as you are attempting.

You might have more luck working inside the Products directory,
but starting out so early with Zope Products is ... daring.
It will be difficult.

HTH,
JZ