[Zope] ZEO Hardware suggestions?

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sun May 9 13:40:36 EDT 2004

george donnelly wrote at 2004-5-8 12:54 -0500:
>eg if i want to be able to handle 20 simultaneous requests per second,
>how many zope clients and what kind of CPU, hardware is recommended?
>what about for the ZEO server?

That depends on the complexity of your pages.

For example my Athon 1.4 GHZ (600 MB RAM) can handle almost 30
simple (Zope) "index_html" requests but only "3.8" "Plone2/intex_html"
requests. This means that (without caching), I would need
about 5-8 Zope processes to serve 20 simultaneous requests.

Speed of Python applications almost increases linearly with
the processor fequency. I.e. 2.8 GHZ processors will probably serve
about twice as much request per second than my 1.4 GHZ processor.

Ensure that your ZEO is connected via a fast network with
you Zope processes. Otherwise, ZEO does not pose strong
requirements for its hosts hardware. Nevertheless, you
should have a decent amount of main memory (256 MB - 1/2 GB depending on
the size of your data files) and the processors should not be too slow.

--
Dieter