[Zope] Sessions and RAM cache managers causing memory leak

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Mon May 17 12:22:23 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 08:26, Richard Ettema wrote:

> > Not really, unfortunately.  How are you determining memory usage?  Do
> > you have any "cache keys" for your cache managers (except
> > AUTHENTICATED_USER, which is the default)?  There is a rendering
> > potentially stored for each cache key when the cache key differs per
> > request.
>
> Some of the dtml methods being cached have dtml namespace cache keys set
> (no request vars are used) and appear on all accounts to being working
> as expected, with the expected number of enteries for these dtml
> methods. Most create one entry, a few others create anywhere between
> 5-20 enteries as the dtml keys change as I would expect. The dtml vars
> are set by dtml-let statements before the method or script is called.

Maybe try not using the various cache keys as a test?

> > Maybe try storing your "transient object container" in the "main" ZODB
> > instead of storing it in /temp_folder/session_data (which is backed
> > entirely by RAM).  I don't recommend doing this long-term but it might
> > be helpful during diagnosis.
>
> Do you mean to just move the "transient object container" to the zope
> root folder? What is bad about doing this?

Just create another one (add a 'Transient Object Container' from the
Addd.. list) ; don't move the existing one.  Nothing is "bad" about
doing this, it's just that sessions are very write-intensive so having a
TOC in the "main" ZODB will bloat the database quickly.

- C