[Zope] zope performance issues

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Wed May 19 00:43:11 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 00:08, Trevor Warren wrote:

>  At this point of time i am not allowed to perform any
> tests using tools/plugins other than those that fit
> into the application server under test.

That's what makes corporate <insert country here> great! <wink>

> [snip]
>
>  I meant the capability to manage the pool of threads
> with visual representation of the thread usage in real
> time. Weblogic/Websphere provide for the same.

On UNIX, we just typically use "top".

>  Some very arcane thread pool management is available
> through the zope.cong file but i am very sure a lot
> more fine tuning is possible.

I think you might be best off if you didn't think too hard about thread
pool management.  Fine-grained thread management is apparently critical
to Java app servers (at least from discussions I've overheard from Java
people), but Zope just takes care of it for you and you don't need to
think all that much about it.  The presentation link I sent over has
some tips for "tuning" which involves some thread-related settings...
http://www.plope.com/misc/szweb/img19.html through
http://www.plope.com/misc/szweb/img23.html are probably most relevant.

- C