[Zope] 450 hits/s with 40+ TPS ..:D : Thanks to the Community

Matt Hamilton matth at netsight.co.uk
Mon May 24 02:25:00 EDT 2004

Ben Last (Zope) wrote:

> Using Zope to build a consumer-focused website (to support a mobile phone
> product) that may need to scale to vast numbers of hits.  Hence a lot of
> focus on caching - it's dynamic in the sense that the pages are generated by
> templates, but they change sufficiently seldom that both levels of Zope
> cache can be used (as appropriate, as Jamie H. points out) to serve very

Another general point to make about caching, and RAMCacheManager:  you
can cache *method calls* rather than entire http page requests.  Whilst
most people just use a RAMCacheManager to cache an entire page ZPT, you
can cache individual sub-templates.  This can be very useful to pages in
which the majority of the page is static, an just a small part changes.
  We used this technique for an e-Commerce site in which the mail body
of the page was a list of products, which was quite expensive to
generate.  We cache that central area (as a separate ZPT), but we don't
cache the containing ZPT which contains things like the shopping basket
details, etc.

> We're also working on a PlayStation game that has a vast database behind it;
> that's all Python/MySQL driven, but it uses ZODB for intermediate result
> caching of some very compute-intensive stuff that can take a couple of days
> to run.

Cool :)  It is always interesting to see systems that don't have the
traditional web browser as the client.  We did some work using Zope as a
backend to a flash-based training app that made calls via XML-RPC to the
backend.

> Which brings me to a question - I'm at the point of sorting out Zope
> hosting.  Anyone got recommendations for a good hosting company,
> Linux-based, Zope-literate, that'll scale from a single dedicated server to
> a load-balanced cluster (as required)?  UK preferred, EU second choice, US
> if we have to (I don't have anything against the US, it's the time
> difference that can be an issue).

We are UK based (Bristol) and offer hosting.  We don't offer shared Zope
hosting, as we believe you really need filesystem access to make the
most of Zope.  We do offer a competitive colocation service, and have
experience in scaling Zope and setting up ZEO clusters.  Email me
off-list if you want more details.

-Matt

Matt Hamilton                                       matth at netsight.co.uk
Netsight Internet Solutions, Ltd.        Business Vision on the Internet