[Zope] zope (with cmf) instance being frequently restarted by signal SIGSEGV(11)

Richard Ettema richard.ettema at yoursolutions.com
Thu May 27 17:57:00 EDT 2004

Hi,

I have a cmf site that has begun restarting frequently and at random
intervals for no apparent reason. This first occurred about 2 weeks ago
for about 2-3 days with the instance being restarted every 15 mins at
worst. This problem disappeared as quickly as it had appeared.

2-3 days  ago this same problem reappeared but with the site sometimes
being restarted 10 times in a 15 minute period. I can find no sequence
of url calls or any common reason for this to be occurring. The only
thing I could find was the following entry appearing in the event log
matching the times I have witnessed the instance restarting via top.

ERROR(200) zdaemon Process 25606 terminated by signal SIGSEGV(11)

The only changes that have occurred around the time of this first
problem turning up was (other than normal site operation with
members/items being add/deleted):
-the cpu and memory being upgraded. This was returned to the original
memory and cpu state to make sure this wasn't the cause. These have been
swapped in/out with no change so it looks like it is just coincidence.
-some site zope images were modified to set the 'precondition' attr to
call a python script to set response headers for caching of images in
apache... This hasn't been undone as the data.fs has since been packed.
Is there any way this could be related???

There is no obvious signs of anything malicious going on, but this is
always a possibility I guess? What to check for?

As this has basically brought the site to its knees with proxy errors
displayed more often than not, has anyone got suggestions on what to
look for. possibilities (however remote) as I am pretty desperate to get
this fixed. If there is a simple explanation, what could cause it to
start out of the blue?

The only possible answer I have come up with while searching is about
the thread stack size being to small. And having to recompile python
with this set to a larger figure. Is this related to the problem I am
having, and is there an easy way to check if this is the case for the
version I have running? If this is what I need to do, is there a good
link for details on what needs to be done and how to do it?

CMF: 1.4.2
Zope: (unreleased version, python 2.1.3, linux2)
Python:  2.1.3 (#1, Sep 7 2002, 15:29:56) [GCC 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian
prerelease)]

Thank you for all your help on this as I am lost at what steps to take next.
Thanks,
Richard.