[Zope] Largefile support error

Eddie Parker eparker at freeshell.org
Mon May 31 23:23:29 EDT 2004

Hello Chris (and group!)

Thanks for the reply. :)

I apologize, I was on my way out for a long weekend, and I didn't specify
a proper report. Sorry!

I'm running Debian, specifically 'woody', and I'm trying to compile using
Python 2.3.3. I'll try my luck with the Python guys, as well, but if
someone else knows what's going on - I'd be most appreciative! :)

-e-

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Chris McDonough wrote:

> Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 00:29:47 -0400
> From: Chris McDonough <chrism at plope.com>
> To: Eddie Parker <eparker at freeshell.org>
> Cc: zope at zope.org
> Subject: Re: [Zope] Largefile support error
>
> On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 23:50, Eddie Parker wrote:
> > "This Python interpreter does not have 'large file support' enabled. Large
> > file support is required to allow the default Zope ZODB database to grow
> > larger than 2GB on most platforms.  Either install a Python interpreter
> > with
> > large file support (see
> > http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/posix-large-files.html) or run this
> > program again with the --ignore-largefile option to prevent this warning,
> > with the understanding that your Zope may fail if the ZODB database
> > size ever exceeds 2GB."
>
> It works, it works! ;-)  (sorry, this is the kind of thing that used to
> bite people who didn't get this message, and later they would find that
> they reached the 2GB limit and blame us ;-)
>
> > Now, I follow the URL, and I get a list of flags to recompile Python with.
> > I follow their directions (doing a make clean, with Python first), and
> > stuff's *still* not compiling.
> >
> > I run the python interpreter, and try the 'import test.test_largefile',
> > and it says that the filesystem doesn't support largefile...
> >
> > should I be asking a Python group about this? has anyone else run into
> > something similar? I'd like to get up and running with zope.. Your help
> > would be *most* appreciated! Thanks!
>
> You don't mention which operating system you're using or which Python
> version you're trying to compile.  Someone may be able to help you here
> but you might also try comp.lang.python to get help in the meantime...
>
> - C

  ____
 \___  > o
     \/  O eddie parker