[Zope] Application Design and Photos

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Thu Nov 4 15:37:56 EST 2004

On Thursday 04 November 2004 08:31 am, Gregor Melhorn wrote:
> I'm developing a community site in zope. I don't use CMF or Plone, since I
> wouldn't be using much of the functionality anyway and therefore would only
> slow down the site with it. All user data is stored in MySQL. exUserFolder
> is used for authentication.
>
> Registered users should be able to upload photos to my site. These photos
> may be viewed by other registered users, but no anonymous users (no
> anonymous access to photos allowed).

> Is there any "best practice" on how to give each user a personal gallery?
>
> Creating a single folder for every user,

I'd recommend that as the simplest, most obvious solution. And as
it's best practice to have your access scripts filter by meta-type
anyway, there's no particular reason not to let this folder hold
other data as well as images.

You might find my VarImage product useful for the actual images:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/narya-project  (package "VarImage")

Release 2.4 does referrer blocking and some other useful tricks, as
well as its primary function, which is rendering thumbnails and
other special effects. It's quite trivial to script a photogallery
with it, as I've done on my own sites.

Your permissions requirement is straightforward Zope permissions
code, though, no special behavior or objects are required -- just
regular Zope images and folders will do that.

Cheers,
Terry