[Zope] ANNOUNCE: ZSyncer 0.6.0 released

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Nov 9 15:18:13 EST 2004

ZSyncer is a project that allows live zope objects to be synchronized from
one Zope to another without doing the tedious export / file transfer /
import dance. It is very easy to use.

ZSyncer also allows you to see at a glance which objects are out-of-sync.

ZSyncer also allows you to view a diff against the destination object,
for several types of objects.

Download it here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/zsyncer/

---------

Highlights of changes since 0.5.1:

 This new features release is NOT BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE with versions
 0.5.1 or earlier.
 You must upgrade ZSyncer on *all* servers that will sync to
 each other.  You will probably have to reconfigure your ZSyncers too,
 and check your users' permissions since we changed the permission name.

 - Thanks to Dieter Maurer we now use ZPublisher.Client and
   cPickle instead of xmlrpc. May help with mixed-encoding data.
   This should improve speed and memory performance too,
   since we don't have to do base64 encoding / decoding
   of the pickles.

 - Merged Sascha Ottolski's patch to make it easier to
   add Sync tab to classes.  These go in Config.py.

 - syncing an ordered folder preserves order,
   patch contributed by sbrauer.

 - added ability to blacklist meta-types,
   not just whitelist, patch contributed by sbrauer.

 - changed permission name to "ZSyncer: Use ZSyncer" to be
   consistent with the usual idiom.

 - added _callRemote(), experimental code which allows you to do just
   about anything on the remote server with security checks.
   This is intended to be used for remotely twiddling configuration,
   properties, and the like.

 - better handling and formatting of diff errors

 - Improved error messages when comparisons fail

 - It's now possible to use paths relative to zsyncer placement.
   This allows you to A) use a different absolute path between
   source and target servers, and B) prevent users from syncing
   anything above the folder where the syncer lives.

 - We now use RESPONSE.write() to stream output messages.
   The old method of RESPONSE.redirect() frequently failed if you
   synced too many objects (query string got too long).

 - No more html in the syncer log!

 - UI now shows local size if available

 - Time now shown somewhat like ls -l (i.e. show year if old, hour/minute
   if current year). Show in the source zsyncer's localtime,
   not GMT.

 - Tons of code cleanup & refactoring: better method & argument
   names, normalized argument order, normalized whitespace, etc.
   If you have code that calls API methods of ZSyncer you will
   probably have to make changes.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com