[Zope] Give 'Extensions' a configurable directory in zope.conf

Rodrigo Dias Arruda Senra rodsenra at gpr.com.br
Thu Nov 18 11:03:48 EST 2004

[ Fred Drake ]:
---------------
> As I understand the Extensions directory, there's currently only
> support for one such directory for an instance; it's not a search path
> at all.  For products, it *is* a search path, and the paths specified
> by the "products" configuration field are added to that search path
> (you can specify more than one in the configuration by including more
> than one "products" line in zope.conf).  There's no way to *remove*
> the <instance>/Products directory.

Thanks for the explanation Fred.

[ Andreas Jung ]:
-----------------
> > -1. Sounds like a YAGNI to me. Not everything is could be made possible
> > should be made possible just because it is need by one person.
> > At least I have not seen a solid usecase for this...we have other problems
> > to solve  and bugs to fix :-)

[ Chris McDonough ]:
--------------------
> The need is one where you have multiple Zope instances that need to
> share a set of external methods.  Currently you need to either put them
> in the software home Extensions or symlink the each of the instance home
> extensions directories to a common path.

In addition to Chris' comment, this happens every time I need to upgrade
Zope. Even if you usually *play* single-instance Zope, while upgrading
versions (Zope as a whole) it would be handy to have both instances
(production and production-wannabe) sharing the same setup.
I do not know if this is considered a "solid" use case though. <wink>

> I'm not going to do any work on this, but I could see why someone would
> want it.

Neither would I ask you, nor Fred, nor Andreas for doing it.
Afterall, I can live with ln or cp indefinetely longer.
However, if people consider it NYAGNI I might try to cook up a 2.8 patch
just for my own educational's sake.

best regards,
Rod Senra