[Zope] CMF Photo Album + "Raw" Image Formats

Tom Purl tom at tompurl.com
Mon Nov 29 21:37:55 EST 2004

I'm a newb when it comes to archiving images, so any help you can give
me would be greatly appreciated.

I want to use Plone as a content management system (CMS) my images,
which are currently stored on my hard drive as PNM files.  These files
are scanned copies of 4x6 images, and are usually ~6 MB in size.  I am
using Plone 2.0.4 with CMF Photo Album/Photo 0.5.0 and  pil 1.1.4.  I
use the PNM file format for my pictures because it's the "rawest" format
that I can use with xsane (I also use Gentoo Linux).

When I upload my pictures in the PNM format to Plone, I'm not able to
see them.  I then tried converting the image (using convert) to a tiff
file (since that's also pretty "raw", right?) and uploading it.
However, I'm still not able to see the image in my cmf photo album.  I
ended up converting it to a bitmap, and I'm able to see that in my album.

Is the bmp file format considered a "raw" format?  I would like to keep
it as raw as possible so that I can use (or at least convert) my images
50 years from now.  Is there a better format to use?

I'm using plone as my CMS because I want to attach metadata to my
images.  Is anyone else using a different free program that works better
than this solution?

Thanks in advance!

Tom Purl