[Zope] Which database?

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Mon Nov 29 15:59:36 EST 2004

Hi,

Am Montag, den 29.11.2004, 15:33 -0500 schrieb Jonathan Cyr:
> Everything I've read says that MySQL is much faster, and matches
> Oracle for speed... If your going to do heavy lifting on a budget...
> something to consider.

Never ever. Well, if you do read only simple selects. But then
you can also store the data in Files and use memory mapping.

IF you want to do heavy inserts while complex selects are
going on you see a lot of speed differences in databases.

Not to mention what happens if you are so old fashioned to expect
you get out of the database what you put in - and not whatever
the database decides to let you see *wink* ;)

> An advantage of MySQL is that it doesn't encourage you to code in the
> database... stored procedures et al, are nice, but not as easy to
> manage as keeping it in the app code.

This sounds like an euphemism :-) "Doesnt encourage" is better
then the bare truth: "Does not allow" ;)

Well, for playing around, store some simple unimportant things,
mySQL is certainly ok and a bit faster then Gadfly.

If you love your data, want to learn SQL, want a unique
interface (from different applications) to your data,
want security, dont have only trivial queries, well, then
maybe you want another database.

Regards
Tino