[Zope] using xml-rpc with javascript to access zope

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Wed Oct 6 09:18:25 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 15:08, Laura McCord wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> >If not, I'd suggest trying to implement this in very, very small
> pieces.  e.g. make a JavaScript function that does something simple
> like, >calls an XML-RPC method that returns "1+1" and then displays the
> result 2 within the DOM using JavaScript, then build up from there
> >incrementally.
>
> Yes, this is my biggest problem, how do I call a simple xml-rpc method
> from javascript?
>
> The xml-rpc server is not a zope server it is a perl script that is
> running on my local computer.
>
> Ideally this is what I what to do, I want to click on a link and onclick
> will call a javascript function and that function will call a xml-rpc
> method, this will all occur in my zope page template. Sounds basic, but
> I don't know where to start.
>
> I just started learning xml-rpc so I don't know all of the
> technicalities behind it, so I am so sorry for not explaining myself
> correctly before.

Well, doing something like XML-RPC with Javascript is like trying
to get a couple of elephants dancing on tip toes.

If you can, avoid such a solution completely.

If not and you cannot choose your auditory (e.g. their browsers
and the configuration of their browsers) consider using a
plugin, for example Flash. This would work at least relieable.

Javascript has no way making a request to a server, you
are always tricking with loading in invisible (i)frames
and stuff which is bound to a lot of restrictions even
on browsers which "support" it.

Regards
Tino