[Zope] Zope instance restarting itself

Gitte Wange gitte at mmmanager.org
Thu Oct 7 13:46:35 EDT 2004

Chris Withers wrote:
> Gitte Wange wrote:
>
>>> Diskspace is 3.3GB left - should be plenty for now ;)
>>> ulimit? I have never used it.
>

> Then find out more about it and check if it's resulting in your Zope
> dying ;-)

You're right - it could have been an issue (or it can be in the future)
- it's not the case this time (I'm almost sure of now I come to think of it)

>>> Checking logs etc doens't give me a clue that anyting could be wrong.
>>> It's very weird since I have a lot of similar instances running on
>>> the same machine that runs perfectly.
>

> Check the size of your Data.fs file, if it's close to 2GB, then you need
> to make sure you filesystem and python support large files.
> Also check the amount of space free on wherever temporary files are
> stored on that server...

And now I think we are getting close to the problem. Data.fs IS around
2GB (2147483592 bytes to be exact).
I will try to find out how FreeBSD likes that big files.

>> I have moved the recovered Data.fs to another machine (and another
>> Zope) trying to start the bastard under Zope-2.7 leaving me with this
>> error when I start Zope:
>>
>> ZODB.POSException.ConflictError: database conflict error (oid
>> 0000000000000013, serial was 034acb34875e1bcc, now 0000000000000000)
>>
>> I'm not sure if it's a result of the recovery or if the Data.fs is
>> just broken.
>

> What products do you have installed?
> This means a product is trying to modify something that another product
> is also trying to modify on startup. It shouldn't really be possible to
> happen, but I have seen it when using PTS and multiple ZEO clients, but
> I don't think that's what you're doing here ;-)

Well the product it fails with is CMFArticle. It shouldn't do anything
at startup but if the Data.fs is hitting a filesize limit that would
make the instance crash.
Thanks for booting my brain Chris :)
I hope the problem is "just" that the Data.fs is too big.

Greetings,
Gitte Wange