[Zope] Zope is a POS.

Ron Bickers rbickers-list-zope2 at logicetc.com
Wed Oct 13 12:45:52 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 13 October 2004 12:15 pm, Jason Leach wrote:

> 0. No standard DB support.

I don't know what you mean by standard, but there are plenty of databases
supported.  ZODB comes to mind, and I've been using MySQL with Zope for
years.

> Perhaps it works fine,
> but it's not being improved.

If something needs improving, report it to the author.

> But then again ZSQL Methods are still ancient and in DTML.

ZSQL Methods and DTML remain important parts of Zope.  Neither is ancient.

> 1. Build in user management.
> The only solid product for this is
> LDAPUserFolder,

Then use LDAPUserFolder.  I do.

> 3. Python
> Keeping python up to date to use products.  Pain in the ass.

I find it quite easy to keep Pyhton up to date.  apt/yum are your friends.

> 4. DTML/ZPT
> Seems 90% of Products are in DTML yet ZPT seems like the obvious thing
> to use.

ZPT is relatively new; DTML has been around a long time.  Many products were
written before ZPT became common.

> Fine, except when you need to tweak a product and then have to
> learn DTML.

As mentioned above, DTML remains an important part of Zope.  You should learn
it.

Zope 2 isn't perfect, but it's a very solid product for many.

--
Ron