[Zope] Re: Zope is a POS.

Garito garito at sistes.net
Thu Oct 14 11:12:13 EDT 2004

Josef Meile wrote:

>> This is my opinion and only my opinion: I think Zope has a DB (object
>> oriented one). For that, I think that DB connectors are for backward
>> compatibility with your ancien software but I would like to migrate data
>
> Not necessary. For example what if you want to manage concurrency? You
> will need row locking and perhaps table locking, thing, which I
> haven't figured out how to do with zope.

Concurrency do not exists. Computers simulate concurrency but nothing
can't do 2 things at time overcoat if you have only 1 HD or 1 CPU

> Other point would be the many-to-many relationships. Although there is
> some product to do this or you can simulate it, I think relational
> databases are more robust there.

I manage relationships but not automagically like renational databases.
In this case there are a lot of work to do, I know

> Finally, if you use a relational DB, then it will be easier to migrate
> to another application other than zope. Also, updates are much easier,
> you won't have problems with the objects as sometimes happens. That's
> why nowadays I'm working on an application to migrate some of my zope
> objects to tables.
>
> I think the Zope DB is good for documents, templates, scripts, images,
> files, authentication, and simple objects without special requirements
> like concurrency, but for more complicated data, a relational db may
> be more suitable.

Jeje, could you see? We are relational DB dependent

> Regards,
> Josef

Regards
Garito