[Zope] Re: Zope is a POS.

Garito garito at sistes.net
Fri Oct 15 11:31:38 EDT 2004

Josef Meile wrote:

>>> Not necessary. For example what if you want to manage concurrency?
>>> You will need row locking and perhaps table locking, thing, which I
>>> haven't figured out how to do with zope.
>>

>> Concurrency do not exists. Computers simulate concurrency but nothing
>> can't do 2 things at time overcoat if you have only 1 HD or 1 CPU
>
> What if you have two CPUs trying to access the same HD? I agree, one
> CPU will have the access first, but somehow you will have to block the
> resorce. If you try to simulate this with zope, you could think about
> a lock attribute on the object, but one thing could happen:
>
> Three CPUs: A, B, and C are trying to access object D on Hardisk E.
>
> 1) CPU A Arives first and takes Object D and checks lock, which is zero.
> 2) CPU B, which was late, takes Object D just right after A, so, lock
> is still zero.
> 3) CPU A sets lock to one and modifies D on a html form.
> 4) CPU B sets lock to one and modifies D on a html form.
> 5) CPU A saves modifications and sets lock to one.
> 6) CPU C arives and takes D because lock is zero.
>
> As you see, CPU B and C are working with the false information. This
> is difficult to simulate with zope. That's why I think the row locking
> of a DB like mysql or postgres will do it better. The locking, if I'm
> not wrong, happens while accessing the data the first time.
>
> Regards,
> Josef

You are agree. This is what I mean when I talk about do a hard work
The only difference between OODB and RDBMS is the previous work (I still
remember when MySQL has no triggers or stored procedures)
In my opinion a good work in ZODB would be these kind of features solved
RDBMS are only more worked in these point but these is not a problem
about OODB architecture
You know my opinion: If I think in objects why I need a RDBMS data?
But this is only an opinion

Regards