[Zope] User authentication via relational database

Hermann Himmelbauer dusty at qwer.tk
Sat Oct 16 18:25:18 EDT 2004

Hi,
I need to authenticate users against a relational database and after that give
them rights to Zope. I have still problems understanding the underlying Zope
concepts, perhaps you can give me some hints.

My case is quite simple: My system design has 4 roles: "anonymous",
"customer", "member" and "director". When people log on to the system, their
login/pass is checked with a relational database and then the user is
associated with one of these roles.

It would be ideal to map those roles to Zope, so that I can limit access to
certain functions directly with Zope. But how could I do that?

I thought about it like that: In Zope, I create 4 users, and give each of
these users an appropriate Zope role. If someone logs in the userid/pass is
then checked with the relational database and after that the user is somehow
logged into Zope as one of these 4 users accordings to the rights set in my
database. For limiting access I would then adapt the security of certain Zope
objects.

Will this concept work with Zope? What would I have to do? Or is there perhaps
a better solution to my problem?

Best Regards,
Hermann

x1 at aon.at
GPG key ID: 299893C7 (on keyservers)
FP: 0124 2584 8809 EF2A DBF9  4902 64B4 D16B 2998 93C7