[Zope] Re: Bulk uploads

cp.hennessy at openapp.biz cp.hennessy at openapp.biz
Wed Sep 1 06:44:23 EDT 2004

Maik Jablonski wrote:

> Braun Brelin wrote:
>> 1.  User has a folder on his Linux/Windows file system with one or more
>> content types (images, OO docs,Word docs, etc.)
>>
>> 2.  User does a drag and drop to a WebDAV folder which appears to the
>> client to be just another folder on the disk.
>>
>> 3.  The webDav server automatically determines the content type and
>> creates it in the selected target folder using the appropriate factory
>> when it receives the file, and uses the "file" factory if it can't
>> automatically determine the file type...
>
> Use Webdrive (http://www.webdrive.com/) to connect your Zope to the
> Desktop of the users via Webdav and you'll be happy...

There are two problems with this :
1) it only works on Windows; and more importantly
2) when you drop a file into webdav how can you control the content type
created from that object e.g if we drop a HTML file into webdav it will
normally be of type File, whereas Document may be more interesting, or for
an image we may want Image or a custom type defined.

This is really the problem to be solved :
is it possible to control the type of content created when an object is
added to Zope using either FTP or WebDAV ?
Preferably we would like to be able for this type to be created
automatically i.e. when 20 files of mixed types are ftp'd/webdav'd then the
appropriate content types should be used for each file.

I imagine that there much be an automatic way (or a product for this) but it
is not obvious to me.

Thanks
CPH