[Zope] Re: Disgraceful

Michael R. Bernstein webmaven at cox.net
Fri Sep 24 15:27:17 EDT 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:07:38 -0400, Tiller, Michael (M.M.) wrote:

> Just because the answer exists somewhere doesn't mean I expect people to
> spend lots of their time (**which is valuable too by the way**) to go
> digging it out.  Zope (and Plone) are very complicated systems and not
> all of us hack the source code to Zope on a daily basis so we don't know
> all the "ins and outs". If you consider it a waste of your time to
> answer our questions then DON'T, but there is no need to insult us.

First, 'Read the API' is *not* insulting. 'RTFM' or 'STFW' would only be
mildly insulting under the circumstances. If the answer not only exists
somewhere, but is also trivially findable, then encouraging a bit more
self sufficiency is in everyone's best interest, including the
questioner's.

The Zope Book chapter on sessions is currently the sixth result here:
http://www.google.com/search?q=zope+sessions

> I don't know if you noticed but they don't exactly have the mindshare or
> marketshare of other solutions and I don't think that is likely to
> change when people come here looking for answers and get nothing but
> grief.  I've said it many times before...if you can't be constructive
> just don't say anything.  You are poisoning this community with this
> nonsense.

Andreas has been contributing software and documentation as well as
answering questions publicly on this and other lists for *years*. I think
this is very constructive behavior, serves as an exemplary model for
community participation, and I object to your characterization.

Encouraging people to clutter up the list with trivial questions serves
*no-one* except the terminally lazy who happen to be currently subscribed
to the list and have the same exact problem, as the next such person to
subscribe won't be bothered to search the web or the list archives for the
answer either.

I think you need to read 'How to ask questions the smart way':

- Michael Bernstein