[Zope] RE: Re: Disgraceful

Michael R. Bernstein webmaven at cox.net
Fri Sep 24 18:28:12 EDT 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:13:58 -0400, Tiller, Michael (M.M.) wrote:

>> The Zope Book chapter on sessions is currently the sixth result here:
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=zope+sessions
>
> Really?  For me, this is the sixth result:
>
> http://vsbabu.org/mt/archives/2003/05/16/resetting_zopes_session_timeout.html
>
> I'm assuming that is not what you meant.
>
> Interestingly, I couldn't find the Zope book in the first six *PAGES* of
> results.  Perhaps Google gives you a different result than me for some
> reason, but I entered it just like you typed it.

You typed it in wrong. If you click the URL I provided above, Google
searches for 'zope sessions'. You obviously searched for 'zope+sessions'.
Plus signs in URLs are spaces.

> The point is to say where to find the information is "obvious" is
> clearly subjective.

I think searching Google for 'zope sessions' is reasonably objective.

>> I think you need to read 'How to ask questions the smart way':
>
> I'm curious, what part specifically did Asad not follow?

>From the 'Before you ask' section:

  "Before asking a technical question by email, or in a newsgroup,
   or on a website chat board, do the following:

   1. Try to find an answer by searching the Web.
   2. Try to find an answer by reading the manual.
   3. [snip]"

> By the way, did you happen to see the part about how to answer them?
> There is a lot of good stuff there like: [snip]

Sure, I've read that too. Doesn't really apply here as he *got* a good
answer to his first question, then proceeded to ask further questions that
he could have found the answers to himself with little effort, at which
point I'm not inclined to insist that further courtesies (and they *are*
courtesies, not an entitlement) be extended. Being polite as you waste
other people's time doesn't earn you any points.

So he got a 'Read the API' answer (not even remotely a flame), which
elicited a 'nicely done' comment from Jonathan, prompting a *very* rude
response from Asad, after which Andreas gave a polite rejoinder, at which
point you started jumping down people's throats for not spoon-feeding him
the answer he wanted.

Do you *want* the remaining experts to stop frequenting the general Zope
list?

-- Michael Bernstein