[Zope] webdav / IE

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Sat Sep 25 16:22:31 EDT 2004

    John> Problem: IE on windows appears to want to use WebDAV, which
    John> doesn't understand cookies AFAIK and thus tries to
    John> reauthenticate using basic http authentication

Hmm, it appears that the cause of my problems lie elsewhere.  In an
attempt to debug and simplify this problem, I did a clean install of
python 2.3.4 and zope 2.7.2 on a new server, default configs on
everything accept the effective user, no cookie crumbler or any other
add-on modules, and I found the same problem with basic
authentication.  A friend tried accessing the same resource (different
win32/IE combination) and had no troubles.  It looks like a bug
specific to my OS or browser (Win98 with IE6, all service packs
up-to-date).

Attached below is the error log generated when I try and access the
doc file with my browser.  Basically, IE is making an "Anonymous User"
LOCK request, even though it has already been authenticated with basic
authentication for the dir the doc file lives in.  I've also seen the
same problem when IE tries to Request URL
http://crcdocs2.bsd.uchicago.edu:8080/test/research_plan.doc/index_html
(my msdoc with /index_html postpended).  In both cases, the offending
user agent is HTTP_USER_AGENT 'Microsoft Data Access Internet
Publishing Provider DAV'.  On my server with the same browser, I can
readily access a wpd document in the same location with no superfluous
authentication annoyances.

Has anyone seen this before - any ideas on how to further diagnose or
better yet, fix it?  I've seen enough flaky behavior in the last few
weeks regarding authentication on MS/IE -- only on MS Office docs --
on at least 5 different machines to know I can't ignore this one.

Exception traceback

Time      2004/09/25 16:48:21.291 GMT-4
User Name (User Id)  Anonymous User (None)
Request URL
http://crcdocs2.bsd.uchicago.edu:8080/test/research_plan.doc/LOCK
Exception Type  Unauthorized
Exception Value         <strong>You are not authorized to access this
resource.</strong><p> No Authorization header found.

Traceback (innermost last):

    * Module ZPublisher.BaseRequest, line 439, in traverse
    * Module ZPublisher.HTTPResponse, line 671, in unauthorized

Unauthorized: <strong>You are not authorized to access this
resource.</strong><p> No Authorization header found.

Display traceback as text

Exception traceback

Time      2004/09/25 17:02:41.515 GMT-4
User Name (User Id)  Anonymous User (None)
Request URL
http://crcdocs2.bsd.uchicago.edu:8080/test/research_plan.doc/index_html
Exception Type  Unauthorized
Exception Value         <strong>You are not authorized to access this
resource.</strong><p> No Authorization header found.

Traceback (innermost last):

    * Module ZPublisher.BaseRequest, line 439, in traverse
    * Module ZPublisher.HTTPResponse, line 671, in unauthorized

Unauthorized: <strong>You are not authorized to access this
resource.</strong><p> No Authorization header found.

Display traceback as text

REQUEST
form
cookies
SITESERVER      'ID=38c1d83c249f02a07f0d04cbbf5f1ee5'
lazy items
SESSION <bound method SessionDataManager.getSessionData of
<SessionDataManager instance at 2a9b780a30>>
other
TraversalRequestNameStack       []
URL
'http://crcdocs2.bsd.uchicago.edu:8080/test/research_plan.doc/index_html'
SERVER_URL      'http://crcdocs2.bsd.uchicago.edu:8080'
PUBLISHED       <bound method File.index_html of <File instance at
2a9b8f7490>>
URL0
http://crcdocs2.bsd.uchicago.edu:8080/test/research_plan.doc/index_html
URL1    http://crcdocs2.bsd.uchicago.edu:8080/test/research_plan.doc
URL2    http://crcdocs2.bsd.uchicago.edu:8080/test
URL3    http://crcdocs2.bsd.uchicago.edu:8080
BASE0   http://crcdocs2.bsd.uchicago.edu:8080
BASE1   http://crcdocs2.bsd.uchicago.edu:8080
BASE2   http://crcdocs2.bsd.uchicago.edu:8080/test
BASE3   http://crcdocs2.bsd.uchicago.edu:8080/test/research_plan.doc
BASE4
http://crcdocs2.bsd.uchicago.edu:8080/test/research_plan.doc/index_html
environ
CONNECTION_TYPE 'Keep-Alive'
HTTP_TRANSLATE  'f'
HTTP_USER_AGENT 'Microsoft Data Access Internet Publishing Provider
DAV'
HTTP_COOKIE     'SITESERVER=ID=38c1d83c249f02a07f0d04cbbf5f1ee5'
SERVER_NAME     'crcdocs2.bsd.uchicago.edu'
GATEWAY_INTERFACE       'CGI/1.1'
SERVER_SOFTWARE         'Zope/(unreleased version, python 2.3.4,
linux2) ZServer/1.1'
REMOTE_ADDR     '24.14.147.78'
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE    'en-us'
SCRIPT_NAME             ''
REQUEST_METHOD          'GET'
HTTP_HOST               'crcdocs2.bsd.uchicago.edu:8080'
PATH_INFO               '/test/research_plan.doc'
SERVER_PORT             '8080'
SERVER_PROTOCOL         'HTTP/1.1'
channel.creation_time   1096146116
PATH_TRANSLATED         '/test/research_plan.doc'