[Zope] Plone/Zope on Debian Sarge

Peter Bittner peter.bittner at gmx.net
Fri Apr 1 07:34:22 EST 2005

Hi there!

I am running a Debian Linux box with Debian/testing (Sarge) and I am trying to
get Plone up and running. I have made a clean, new install of the whole
system last week, so all packages are really up-to-date and there was no
dirty installation that was updated.

I have noticed that the Plone package on Debian is or was somewhat broken, but
there was a notice about that on the Plone website (download page) which has
disappeared. For me that looked like this problem was fixed by the package
maintainer.

Unfortunately still, after installing Plone (and implicitly thus Zope 2.7)
Zope did not want to come up, saying:

  Zope starting all instances....
  '*' is an old/purged instance, not started

What is wrong here?

I know I have to set up a new Plone site (obviously using the Zope interface
at http://localhost:9673), but how can I when Zope is not running.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Cheers, Peter

--
"Free software is like free speech, not free beer" (Richard Stallman)