[Zope] oddity with zope and webdav

Chris Purves chris.purves at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 21:23:33 EST 2005

On 06/12/05, David Bear <dwbear75 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a zope instance listening on localhost. I use apache and fastcgi to
> reach zope. Now I would like to provide webdav. Since my apache is already
> doing ssl, I wanted webdav connections to also go through apache.
>
>  when I use cadaver and connect to my zope zope through apache, all works
> well even though I have specified in my zope.conf file that  webdav listen
> on localhost:8088 (it seems that cadaver is smart enough working through the
> fastcgi interface to just work).
>
>  When attempting to using dreamweaver mx or windows webfolders to connect to
> zope I get an error.
>
>  So I attempted to use an apache proxy pass directive to campture all urls
> at myzopeserver.edu:8088/webdav back to localhost:8088. This had no effect.
> cadaver was still able to work. Dreamweaver (using webdav site setup) and
> windows webfolders still failed.
>
>  What deep magic do I need to make dav work through apache? ( would prefer
> to have all things go through fastcgi but I understand the trend is to use
> proxy-pass )

I just got this working myself, although I am using apache as a proxy,
not fastcgi.  If you already have ssl working with apache and can
access zope through apache without ssl, it shouldn't be difficult.

The main thing is to add a virtual host in your apache config for SSL
and modify the rewrite line to use https:.  I found the following
document helpful:

http://www.zope.org/Members/tmckibben/HowTo.2004-04-13.0659

It uses FastCGI, so it should more closely match your setup than mine

--
Take care, eh.
Chris