[Zope] oddity with zope and webdav

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Dec 6 05:12:42 EST 2005

David Bear wrote:
> I have a zope instance listening on localhost. I use apache and fastcgi to
> reach zope.

you may wish to rethink that when you get a chance...

> Now I would like to provide webdav.

What do you want to use WebDAV for?

> when I use cadaver and connect to my zope zope through apache, all works
> well even though I have specified in my zope.conf file that  webdav listen
> on localhost:8088 (it seems that cadaver is smart enough working through the
> fastcgi interface to just work).

I know nothing abotu fastcgi, but I doubt you're reachign the source
port, so if you open a ZPT, for example, you will get the rendered
version, and if you edit and save it, you will loose all your tal markup.

> When attempting to using dreamweaver mx or windows webfolders to connect to
> zope I get an error.

Chocolate teapot? ;-)

What error, exactly and verbosely, did you get?

> So I attempted to use an apache proxy pass directive to campture all urls at
> myzopeserver.edu:8088/webdav back to localhost:8088. This had no effect.

I doubt it had no effect, look in your apache access and error logs...

> cadaver was still able to work. Dreamweaver (using webdav site setup) and
> windows webfolders still failed.

More information please... you may need to get a packet sniffer such as
etheral up and running to get further...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk