[Zope] Zope Persistence (was: XML-RPC within ZOPE)

Jan-Ole Esleben esleben at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 14:13:49 EST 2005

What you say is all perfectly true except:

1. In the example, just setting _p_changed=1 does _not_ lead to a
conflict error. With the ineffectual code above it (that never gets
executed) it _does_. So there _is_ some implicit magical stuff going
on and ZOPE tries to take care that only subobjects change (but
incompletely)!

2. You shouldn't use lists and dicts - it should say this "on the
front page". It is never really mentioned in any way that intuitively
leads to such problems as we are now talking about. It isn't very
obvious that things work like this when you look at the documentation,
and

3. It is especially confusing that ZOPE behaves differently when using
XML-RPC calls. From what you say, it should be the same within the
ZOPE system as when using XML-RPC. It gets more complicated with
XML-RPC though! All the stuff that you claim as being obvious really
isn't all that obvious. And of course, once you've been burned by
something like this and the confusion it engenders, you will only use
PersistentMapping etc., but I still don't know what _exactly_ to
expect from ZOPE in terms of behaviour with mutable objects that
aren't Persistent (because of the XML-RPC inconsistency and the
self._p_changed inconsistency both mentioned above).

Ole