[Zope] More on understanding conflicts

Dennis Allison allison at shasta.stanford.edu
Wed Dec 21 14:17:45 EST 2005

Michael --

You raise an interesting point.  We use sessions to hold the
volatile state for each user in a highly interactive, highly personalized
site. A session lasts from login until logout or until there has been no
activity for a long time.  Perhaps, if I were to simply excise the session
timeout mechanism and the write of the last access time all would be well.
We do not use session timeouts and could easily handle the recovery in a
different way.

I have changed the WRITEGRANULARITY and other parameters to be more
comensurate with our long session times.

I have begun to think that the Zope session variable mechanism, as
implemented, addresses a different part of the storage spectrum than we
need.  A small number of per user parameters (3 to 10) are used by almost
every request. Most of the parameters are set at user login and are not
changed for the duration of the session; sessions can last a long time, up
to ten hours, say, Some of the parameters change more rapidly, for
example, those that capture the current navigation state.  It may be that
we need two different kinds of session data, one for login-static data and
another for dynamic data.

I'm still working on getting some detailed traceback information,
difficult when the problems occur only infrequently on loaded production
systems with a 24x7 service profile.  We are moving to Zope 2.8.5 to take
advantage of the better conflict reporting.