[Zope] Re: Zope or Python blocking on select()

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Wed Feb 9 09:14:21 EST 2005

FYI: LD_ASSUME_KERNEL From

 http://people.redhat.com/drepper/assumekernel.html

This means no LD_ASSUME_KERNEL setting requesting versions earlier than
2.2.5 will work at all. Versions from 2.2.5 to 2.4.0 will use the DSOs
in /lib, versions from 2.4.1 to 2.4.19 will use the DSOs in /lib/i686,
versions 2.4.20 and younger will use the DSOs in /lib/tls.

The specific ABI version requirements on a RHL9, and Fedora Core 1 and 2
system are as follows (NB: this implies IA-32 is the architecture):
DSOs in /lib/tls need ABI version 2.4.20.
DSOs in /lib/i686 need ABI version 2.4.1.
DSOs in /lib need ABI version 2.2.5.

For the Red Hat releases this layout was chosen to provide the maximum
amount of backward compatibility for broken applications (correctly
written applications have no problems anyway). The code in /lib consists
of the very early LinuxThreads code which had fixed size threads which
could not be placed by the application. The version in /lib/i686 is the
LinuxThreads code which does away with this limitation (aka floating
stacks). The code in /lib/tls is the new NPTL POSIX thread library.

Thomas