[Zope] Re: Ape backwards

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Feb 14 07:23:12 EST 2005

martin f krafft wrote:
> My understanding is that it is most commonly used to store data
> somewhere else (e.g. a RDB) rather than in the ZODB. This is not
> necessarily what I want to do, although it is part of it.

I'm not sure APE is "commonly" used for anything...

> I want to make my exisiting RDB available in Zope, intuitively,
> automatically, and robustly.

Yep, that sounds like one of APE's deisgned usecases, and the one that
most interests me...

> I want records created in the database outside of Zope to show up as
> objects in Zope automatically. The same applies to deletions.

Any particular type of Zope object?

<snip>
> Is this what Ape is all about?

Yep.

> Yes, this is what I am asking, I think. Are there any examples of
> this? Ape looks complicated and before diving into the theory, I'd
> rather explore it in action first.

Shane?

> ZSQL methods are objects representing data relations, not records or
> instances in those.

That's a matter of opinion, I believe you can probably get what you're
after, and maybe even more quickly than with APE or SQLObject.

> However, I am looking to provide folderish objects which can also
> hold CMF objects.

I thought you'd be heading there, good luck, I think you'll need it!

> So I want a way to associate a folderish Archetype (essentially just
> a folderish CMF type) with a RDB table so that an instance thereof
> obtains and manages some of its associated data from/in the RDB.

That sounds like a question for the Archetypes list, I think they have
some way to deal with this...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk