[Zope] Using ZEO for remote access

Etienne Labuschagne elabuschagne at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 14:03:13 EST 2005

Dieter,

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:45:14 +0100, Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de> wrote:
> Etienne Labuschagne wrote at 2005-2-18 21:15 +0200:
> >I want to use Zope as an application server and was thinking to
> >connect to Zope from the clients, by using ZEO.
>
> This sentencse looks wrong...
>
> You clients connect to ZEO bypassing Zope...

Thanks for pointing that out, I have mis-quoted myself.  Yes, I will
bypass Zope entirely and connect to the ZEO shared database from
multiple clients.

> >I have tried the following code to get a connection to a running ZEO
> >instance (the setup works, as a Zope Instance can connect to the ZEO
> >server):
> >
> >from ZEO.ClientStorage import ClientStorage
> >cs = ClientStorage([('localhost', 9999)])
>
> Drop the "[]", i.e. use

That was how I tried it the first time.  The [] I think I got out of
some tool script that tests if ZEO is up - that script, by the way
also hangs indefinately.  So does the pack script. Adding or removing
the [] makes no difference to the hanging.

>     cs = ClientStorage(('localhost', 9999))
>
> Of course, ZEO should run on localhost, port 9999, for this
> to work. If it does not, the client hangs (waiting for ZEO
> to become available).
>
> --
> Dieter

I have tried all the permutations of clients on Windows and Linux
connecting to a ZEO running on Windows and Linux, here are the
results:

Windows -> Linux ZEO : Hangs
Windows -> Windows ZEO : Hangs
Linux->Linux ZEO : Works
Linux->Windows ZEO : Works.

It seems my problem is with clients running on Windows.  Funny thing
is, the Zope instance I have on Windows can connect fine.  So it
should be do-able from Windows.

Unfortunately, my client program will typically run on Windows machines.

Etienne