[Zope] Importing Microsoft Access into ZODB

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Thu Feb 24 10:32:14 EST 2005

Am Donnerstag, den 24.02.2005, 12:18 +0000 schrieb John Poltorak:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 12:45:00PM +0100, Rik Hoekstra wrote:
> > John Poltorak schreef op 24-2-2005 11:23:

> > > Is there an easy way of importing an access file into any other RDB, and
> > > if so which one? I've looked at various options and they all look fairly
> > > tortuous if you don't already have the requisite software installed.
> > >

> > You could use any rdb, we use mysql. There are many tools and tutorials
> > to convert an access db to mysql, we have done this many times. For a
> > tutorial see
> > http://www.kitebird.com/articles/access-migrate.html, including links to
> > software to automate this.
>
> I looked at this but it appeared as though I needed to have Microsoft
> Access installed, but I don't have it available.

 ~ > apt-cache search jet database
...snip...
libmdbtools - mdbtools libraries
mdbtools - JET / MS Access database (MDB) tools
mdbtools-gmdb - JET / MS Access database (MDB) file viewer

~ > apt-cache show mdbtools
Package: mdbtools
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 232
Maintainer: Filip Van Raemdonck <mechanix at debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.5.99.0.6pre1.0.20041117-2
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.4.7), libmdbtools,
libreadline4 (>= 4.3-1)
Filename:
pool/main/m/mdbtools/mdbtools_0.5.99.0.6pre1.0.20041117-2_i386.deb
Size: 61008
MD5sum: e6b9569cc4fdc9d6a4eb42bfc26cf180
 These are various tools for manipulation JET / MS Access database (MDB)
files:
  * utils     - provides command line utilities to list tables, export
schema,
                and data, show the version of the files, and other
useful stuff.
  * mdb-sql   - a command line SQL tool that allows one to type sql
queries and
                get results.
  * odbc      - An ODBC driver for use with unixODBC driver manager.
Allows
                one to use MDB files with PHP for example.
 .
 http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/
 https://sourceforge.net/projects/mdbtools/

looks promising I'd say.

Good luck the database file isnt password protected :-)

Regards
--
Tino Wildenhain <tino at wildenhain.de>