[Zope] Zope X3 vs. Zope 2.7.4

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Sun Feb 27 13:01:11 EST 2005

On Sunday 27 February 2005 11:46, Jake wrote:
> I have to agree with Chris on this one. While Zope X3 is nice for those
> sharping the blades (cutting edge) for most people wanting to get into
> Zope I would push them towards 2.7.

Well, I qualified my answer by saying that if you are Python programmer and
need to develop non-standard apps you should use Zope 3. And I think this is
a valid assessment. A Python programmer will be much more productive in Zope
3 than in Zope 2.

Further, there are several large projects for Zope 3 and they all have no
problem keeping up with the development speed, simply because it is not that
fast.

Have you actually done anything in Zope 3 yet?

> Now, when Zope 3.0 comes along, or maybe 3.1 and all the backward
> compatibility is worked out it might be a different story.

Changes between Zope 3 releases will be always backward-compatible. This is a
checkin policy.

>  From what I can see, there is still 2.7.5 (beta 1 just release)
> probably a 2.7.6 and then 2.8b/a/rc - > 2.8 and a few more releases
> under that. All of that looks like at least a year of development in
> 2.X series.

Development for Zope 2 and 3 is totally disconnected. I personally do not care
at all how long Zope 2 will be released/developed/supported.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter