[Zope] Zope 2.7.3 Memory Leaks

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 12:25:46 EST 2005

[Andy Yates]
> Let's not go into the gory details.  Another discussion of the
> complexities of memory management will not be productive.

I agree.

> The fact remains that if given enough time Zope will use so much memory
> that it crashes the server.  I've reproduced this on at least 3 Linux servers
> with a clean install of Zope.  The pattern SEEMS to be the more data I
> put in a session object the faster the server dies.  This can not be
> normal behavior.  I'm used to servers running for months.  I have to
> restart Zope every 3 days at least.  I need to at least have a long
> weekend away form this thing!  ;-)
>
> Can anybody please verify my results.  I've given a very simple test
> case.  If I'm only one in the world that can cause this to happen then
> fine.  At least that narrows my search to something internal to our
> system.

I think people are trying to help, and you need to follow up more.
For example, I didn't see a reply to Tres's questions in this thread,
and I didn't see what looked like a particularly relevant reply to
Dieter's observation that the test setup appears to provoke an
unbounded number of sessions each with a 45-minute timeout (although
Dieter appeared to miss this part of the message he was replying to:

    The session timeout does not seem to affect the memory use.  We even
    tried setting the session timeout to 1 minute.

your reply to him didn't have any indication of how many
requests/sessions were getting created; and you didn't respond to his
point that he limits max sessions to 5000 -- Tres also asked about max
# of sessions).

> Please don't take offence I'm sure the BTree code is really cool.

Oh, no offense at all!  C code usually leaks like a sieve when it's
new <wink>.  I was just trying to steer you away from the BTree code
in this case, because it's not new, has benefited from a lot of work
to plug leaks, and just isn't a high-probability suspect anymore.
BTW, you *do* see BTree building blocks from the debug control panel;
they're in the lines like:

BTrees.OOBTree.OOBTree  2019    11997   +9978
BTrees.OOBTree.OOBucket         1297    5512    +4215

> I'm just grasping at straws.  When this problem started I was told the
> problem must be in MY code.  So I removed ALL my code and made a very
> simple test case that reproduces the problem.  Then I was told well you
> just don't understand how memory REALLY works.

I didn't see anyone say that in this thread.  Maybe I missed it.

>  At this point I don't really care how memory really works.  I just want to be
> able to put data in session objects without my server crashing.

Sure.

> Run my test case and see what happens.  I double dog dare you!  ;-)

Sorry, but I don't have time to dig into this at all.  My replies have
just regurgitated info I knew off the top of my head.  That doesn't
mean I think your problem is trivial, it just means I can't volunteer
substantive help.