[Zope] Memory and Large Zope Page Templates

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Fri Jan 14 14:00:31 EST 2005

Santi Camps wrote at 2005-1-14 16:10 +0100:
>But there is nothing rare.   I can see how the refcounts of some objects
>are heavely incresed during the process of the report, but when finished
>they are freed.  But RAM of the Zope process don't decrease.
>
>Anybody have an explanation ?  It's recomended to run this kind of
>reports in a new process ?  In this case, there are any products to help
>this way ?

The UNIX memory API allows to grow and shrink the heap only at one end.
If there is a block (as tiny as it may be) at this end, then
it prevents to give back any unused memory to the OS before that block.
Usually, there is no way to compact the memory (as it is accessed
directly and not via an indirection).
Therefore, you rarely see that the memory allocated to a process
decreases.

--
Dieter