[Zope] How to upgrade Zope-2.7.1 to Zope-2.7.4 (Windows)

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Jan 21 04:25:49 EST 2005

Trung Tran wrote:

> Hi,
> I want to upgrade my Zope-2.7.1 to the lastest version Zope-2.7.4 in
> Windows. As far as I know it might be done by simply installing Zope-2.7.4
> (using the executale binary Zope-2.7.4-0-win32.exe) over the existing
> Zope-2.7.1 (meaning the destination directory will be the existing Zope
> home).

That should work, but means you're stuffed if you want ot go back to
2.7.1 for any reason...

> I have created many Zope instances (using Zope-2.7.1) running as Windows
> services. So if I upgrade the existing Zope-2.7.1 (rather than install
> Zope-2.7.4 in a new directory)  then I don't have to make any change into my
> existing Zope instances.
> Could anyone tell that this is the right thing to do it or I would miss
> anything?

Well, what I've done, and has worked for years on both Linux and
Windows, is to install the Zope software in folders related to their
version, eg:

E:\Zope\2.7.1
E:\Zope\2.7.4

I think create projects as instance homes:

E:\Zope\myproject1
E:\Zope\myproject2

Then, all I need to do to upgrade is install the new zope software
(putting 2.7.whatever in the location box for the binary installer) and
then tweak the start scripts (you'll have to fiddle with the service
start scripts) and zope.conf's of the instances I want to upgrade,
restart them, and you're done :-)

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk