[Zope] Plagued by UnicodeEncodeError and UnicodeDecodeError

davelists2 at peoplemerge.com davelists2 at peoplemerge.com
Fri Jan 21 19:58:05 EST 2005

Hi,

We have a ton of AT objects that we've imported from our databases,
some of which are Japanese characters imported as unicode.  In some
cases, those could not be imported because of UnicodeEncodeErrors
or UnicodeDecodeErrors loading the object from our DB or loading
them into the ZODB.  It would have been really nice to keep these
entries, but we just put them in a try:except: block to get past
them.

Our current problem is that now we have the data in our DB, and they
all display fine.  But when we go to edit them through a base_edit
and click Save, we're back to this:

UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position
5: ordinal not in range(128).

The traceback shows the field which is causing the error, and I don't
see any unicode chars there!

Zope 2.7.3-0 python 2.3.4 linux
CMF 1.4.7
Plone 2.0.4