[Zope] Re: [Plone-users] Re: To gzip or not to gzip?

Daniel Dekany ddekany at freemail.hu
Tue Jul 5 11:44:36 EDT 2005

Tuesday, July 5, 2005, 4:17:11 PM, Shaun Hills wrote:

> Daniel Dekany <ddekany at ...> writes:
>>
>> But how should I use that? That compresses everything regardless of the
>> MIME type (which is of course not good).
>
> A review of the Apache documentation should tell you everything you need to know:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_deflate.html

Yes, I have seen that environment variable earlier... with that Apache
compress text/html *only*, but not text/css and text/javasript. OK,
compressing text/html is that mostly matters, so you are right, I don't
care and will use that. But it's funny... if it is possible to compress
text/html only, then how is this not possible with any MIME-types I
choose...

For those of you who is interested:

# AddOutputFilterByType doesn't work with
# ProxyPass/ProxyPassReverse, so:
SetEnv gzip-only-text/html 1
SetOutputFilter DEFLATE

--