[Zope] Re: Re: Poll: Zope and Suse Linux

Marco Bizzarri m.bizzarri at icube.it
Fri Jul 8 11:11:17 EDT 2005

Tony Addyman wrote:

>>>Why do these bastards ship Zope with an unsupported Python version...
>>>unbelievable! Maybe a reason *not* to use Suse.
>>
>>he he. I think the equivalent of using deb packages (or alike) to
>>install and maintain your zope is like create and maintain a zclass
>>project: you get started quickly but very soon you grow out of it and
>>the ceiling can't be raised without breaking the roof.
>>

> Does your technical expertise match your sense of humour? I have built
> Python and Zope from source in the past, but that was always on a system
> which had shipped with an earlier version of Python. In this case building
> from source generates the following error when you start Zope. This was
> python2.3.5 tar file from python.org and zope-2.7.5, from zope.org. All the
> advice on the Web talks about removing old code, because DbTab is now
> integrated. The error message was:
>
> DBTab.ClassFactories.autoClassFactory could not be imported. Line 844 of
> zope.conf.
>
> Removing python-2.4 from the system is not an option. Too many thinks link
> in to it.
> Tony Addyman

I'm not sure if this is the case, but it looks like, for one reason or
another, your zope is starting with a different python from the one with
which it was compiled.

A problem I often encountered when having different python on a server,
and with python compiled with enable-shared switch on (you can check
this by running ldd against the python executable).

If the library path find is not correctly set, you will end starting
your newly compiled python with another python library...

HTH

Regards
Marco