[Zope] Re: Re: Re: Poll: Zope and Suse Linux

Tony Addyman A.M.Addyman at salford.ac.uk
Fri Jul 8 13:13:12 EDT 2005

Paul Winkler wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 04:01:23PM +0100, Tony Addyman wrote:
>> Removing python-2.4 from the system is not an option. Too many thinks
>> link in to it.
>
> No need to remove anything.
> Just build python 2.3 and install it in /usr/local (the default).

If only it was that simple. It has always been that simple in the past, but
then my local python was newer than the one shipped with the distro.

> Then build zope from source like so:
>
> ./configure --with-python=/usr/local/bin/python2.3 --prefix=...
> make
> make install
>
> Does that not work?  I don't see why this is any different from
> the usual case of the distro-provided python or zope being too old.

I have not tried the --with-python argument, because the configure detected
my python 2.3.5 in /usr/local. Doing ./configure --prefix, make, then make
install didn't produce any errors, but attempting to run zope did. I will
try the --with-python argument next week, and the altinstall suggested by
another helpful person.

Many thanks for your support. I will feel much more comfortable with the
right version of python under my zope.
Tony
--
Eur Ing A.M.Addyman, School of Computing, Science and Engineering
University of Salford, Salford, M5 4WT