[Zope] Re: Zope Foundation Update

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Thu Jul 21 01:18:14 EDT 2005

--On 20. Juli 2005 19:17:59 -0500 George Donnelly <list at zettai.net> wrote:

> Hadar Pedhazur wrote:
>
> ZC says: the marks were stolen
> ZEA seems to be saying: the marks were registered defensively.
>
> My read on this is that there is a serious communication problem going
> on here between the lines. Why doesn't Paul come out and state what the
> ZEA position is? Why are ZC's words so angry?

I am disappointed hearing that ZEA registered the trademarks silently
already 18 months ago. The German Zope User Group (DZUG) asked ZC for
permission using the Zope logo and the domain name zope.de for our
community websites (which was never a problem). But in this case we would
have to ask ZEA for permission as keeper of the trademarks in Europe?! I am
sorry to say this but the secrecy on the ZEA side is not really acceptable.
I can understand ZEA argument to have registered the trademarks for
defending Zope from improper use but why did not you notify ZC or the
community about it? As someone working in the Zope business I need to know
who is having what and why. Such things should not kept secret when you are
dealing in the open-source business. So this whole issue is a shame for the
complete Zope community.

-aj