[Zope] store data as long as the user is logged on

Jonathan dev101 at magma.ca
Thu Jul 21 11:16:01 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "gabor" <gabor at nekomancer.net>
To: "Tino Wildenhain" <tino at wildenhain.de>
Cc: <zope at zope.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 11:01 AM
Subject: Re: [Zope] store data as long as the user is logged on

> Tino Wildenhain wrote:
>> Am Donnerstag, den 21.07.2005, 16:36 +0200 schrieb gabor:
>>
>>>hi,
>>>
>>>i need to store some data as long as the user is logged on to zope.
>>>how can i achieve this?
>>>
>>>using the session is not a good idea, because some parts of the code
>>>simply call session.clear()  (i did not write that part).
>>>
>>>if everything fails, i can use a singleton where i put a dictionary based
>>>on some-kind-of user-id... but i'd like to avoid that if possible (don't
>>>want to think about the multi-user-asking-at-the-same-time problems)..
>>>
>>>is there any place where i could attach my data structure?

you could store the data in a cookie on the user's pc, or create a
dictionary and store it in a temp_folder (stored in ram, not persistant).
The dictionary would only work if you had a reliable way to identify a
returning user (ie. do they log in with an ID that you could use as the
dictionary key?).

hth

Jonathan