[Zope] recommend a provider

Greg Fischer retheoff at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 16:16:26 EDT 2005

I have the 64 MB account and I run Apache, Mysql, Firebird, and Zope.
(plus Courier mail)  If I run only apache, Zope, and Mysql, 64 MB
worked fine, but with mail and Firebird it's running about 20MB on the
swap now.  Of course, I setup Debian on it and omitted everything from
running that didnt need to be there.  Even tweeked Apache the best I
could to limit processes, but it's working great for me.

The only disadvantage to running Unixshell.com is that you are on your
own as far as management goes.  You have to do all the security and
setup yourself.  But they have this kick ass installer from the web
that sets up an image from your fav distro.  It's pretty sweet if you
like the control and dont mind spending the time to setup everything.

A big advantage that they have is, for a VPS solution, you arent
docked for running over your memory.  See, if I go to 80MB, it just
used some swap.  It's just like I had my own server with a fixed
amount of ram.  If I went with other VPS solutions, I would be charged
for using more memory.  And since I dont know what resources I might
need, that wouldnt work.

I've never ran Plone, so I dont know what is involved or what kind of
resource you would need.  I have a low traffic setup, but I have one
client that runs a billing/customer tracking Zope/mysql app with 4
users on it all day and I havent had any trouble. Best I can say is,
try it for a month.  It's only $15 - $20 to see if it will fit your
needs.

If you decide to go with them, send me an email and I'll give you a
few tips to get started as I was really confused at first.  (regarding
the remote console and ssh)  It's very cool what they have going, but
it's "unmanaged" and you have to be willing to run it yourself.  (they
manage the hardware and netowrk of course.)

On the other hand, Zettai.net has been great for me too.  I think they
have separate Plone hosting from their Zope hosting now.  They have
been very reliable and have good support.  Plus you dont have to do
any setup on the server itself, so you can be running quickly.  But,
again, if you like the total control, the Unixshell.com rocks.

Greg

On 6/6/05, Parra <parra.lista at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greg,
>
> I saw their website, and average plan gives 96 to 256 of RAM.
> If you install Plone, isn't a little amount of RAM ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Marcello
>
> > While I like Zettai, I have recently started using Unixshell.com and
> > will be moving all my hosting there eventually. However, you have to
> > be able to do *all* your own Linux mangement.  For me it's great
> > because of the full control I get (for cheap), but it might not be
> > good for newbies.  Unixshell.com is not a Zope hosting provider, they
> > are a VPS service, so you can run your own Zope server.  (BTW, they
> > are using Xen virtualization, and I am totally impressed!)

Greg Fischer
1st Byte Solutions
http://www.1stbyte.com