[Zope] developing with zmi: how to move a patch from data fro m devel to live?

Pascal Peregrina Pperegrina at Lastminute.com
Mon Jun 20 03:13:57 EDT 2005

You can manually export objects from your dev zope to individual files and
then import them back to the live instance through ZMI.

You could try this : http://zsyncer.sourceforge.net/
It will enable you, for built-in Zope object types (but then you can extend
it with your own types) to list the differences between your dev and live
zope instances and deploy your changes.

Pascal

-----Message d'origine-----
De : zope-bounces at zope.org [mailto:zope-bounces at zope.org]De la part de
gabor
Envoyé : lundi 20 juin 2005 08:35
À : zope at zope.org
Objet : [Zope] developing with zmi: how to move a patch from data from
devel to live?

hi,

my problem is the following...

imagine that you develop something for the customer using zope.
while developing you use the ZMI a lot... to set some settings, to
create python scripts and so on. you do this on the 'devel' server.

then you deliver the solution to the customer (to the 'live' server).
you can simply copy the data.fs stuff to the live server.

after some time the either customer wants some new features, or there's
a bug to fix or something like that.

now you create the fix/improvement on the devel server.

but now how do you move the improvement/fix to the live server?
you cannot just copy the data.fs over. the customer already has some
content/data in it...

one way seems to be to not use the ZMI at all. you create an install
python script, which calls the methods of the ZMI interface. this way
works, but it seems for me to waste my time. finding the right method
that the gui calls to call it from the install script seems stupid for me.

but it solves the problem. with the script i can really make the changes
i need on the devel server.

so, is there a solution where i can use the ZMI?

how do you solve this kind of problem?

gabor
Zope maillist  -  Zope at zope.org
(Related lists -